Saturday 20 February 2016

Christy Keeney

 
 
Winter Exhibition at the Stour Gallery.
 
 

 

Christy Keeney, Mother and Child.

Irish artist Christy Keeney lives and works in County Donegal. His sculpted slab built heads and figures demonstrate a wonderful sense of draughtsmanship as details are drawn into the wet clay surfaces.

'I see my work more as 3D paintings rather than sculptures or ceramics. The form is built up and sketched till almost flat, like a canvas, ready to take the drawing, which will outline the head or portrait. These flat heads represent ordinary people. They are a study of the many varied features and expressions that make up the human face. The figures usually attempt to express the human spirit in its many forms. I like to work with clay blindly, letting the moment dictate my progress. When I see the form develop to some conclusion, then I'll add the features'.




No comments:

Post a Comment