Sunday 26 June 2016

Stour Gallery - Late Spring Exhibition



Late Spring Exhibition at the Stour Gallery, Shipston-on-Stour.

My visit to the Stour Gallery on Saturday was rewarding: some interesting work, and some artists I had not come across before.




Peter Hayes, (ceramic)




Peter Hayes, (ceramic and glass)




Peter Hayes, (ceramic and glass)




Peter Hayes, (ceramic)




Neil Canning, Kynance, (oil on canvas)





Neil Canning, Sleeping Land, (oil on canvas)





Neil Canning, Cove - High Tide, (oil on canvas)





Neil Canning, Storm Front, (mixed media on canvas)





James Hake, (ceramic)





James Hake, (ceramic)





Ashley Howard, (ceramic)

A radical departure for Howard following his trip to Japan. Gone are the roughly textured ceramics - this work in porcelain is very smooth and highly polished. The jars do not open even though they appear to have a lid - it's contained space, a very Japanese notion.




Ashley Howard, (ceramic)




Ashley Howard, (ceramic)





Ashley Howard, (ceramic)





Ashley Howard, (ceramic)




Ashley Howard, (ceramic)



Sotis Filippides, (ceramic)





looking in.



4 comments:

  1. The simple forms and decoration of Sotis Fillipides and James Hake appeal most,and both previously unknown to me. I really like Peter Hayes' work - know him of old, and am lucky enough to have two pieces of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you owning two Peter Hayes, Olga. The Sotis Fillipides was the star of the show - my photographs do not do it justice: it's a wonderful piece. The gallery owner said that her husband had 'found' it and that it was 'maybe' for sale. The James Hakes reminded me of traditional Greek pottery. I was disappointed by the direction that Ashley Howard's work has taken as I liked his previous work a lot, but the recent pieces sort of grew on me - a bit.

      Delete
    2. Your photos of the Fillipidis remind me of work by Rie - that stark but subtle use of almost monochrome. It's a kind of mesmerising combination with the use of simple texture. An overall wow.

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's it!

      Some interesting work on his website. I would like to see more.

      Delete