Wednesday 20 September 2017

Swimming in Amorgos


Amorgos has a number of beaches for swimming but only one that is organised. I do not like sitting in the sun so we always favour organised beaches. We consequently used Maltezi beach for the whole time we were there.




The boats that take you to the beach run every half hour




We enjoyed taking the boat as it was great fun




On the left hand side of this photograph you ca see a small statue that sits on a rock - there is another one across the bay





Lots of churches to look at on the way





First top was the beach at Plakes which is just rocks




We could not see the attraction of sitting on such a barren rock for hours, but found out later that nudism is permitted here, so I guess that's why people choose to go here







Then we set off again.




Clear water and barren rocks







I know that I am posting too many photographs of the sea, but I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms. We cannot go swimming again due to the environmental disaster on the Saronicos Gulf, and I am missing it so much.... I keep dreaming of swimming





After a while our beach would come into view




looking closer.






We would normally take the first boat at 10:00 so, for about an hour the beach would be quite deserted, and it was wonderful





it's a small bay, and apparently the only place in Amorgos that is sheltered from the winds - it can get very windy on the island, so that's a definite plus





It's the cleanest beach I have ever been to. The people who run it keep it spotless. As we would start getting our things together to leave, someone would come with a brush, sweep all the sand off the recliners and then wipe them with a clean cloth - I have never seen that done anywhere else





We like to swim long distances so we would start from one end of our bay, swim to the end of it, then move on to the next bay and stop by the church you can see in the distance




looking closer at the church







2 comments:

  1. I can never have too many photographs of the sea - so thank you. It is such a disappointment that the wretched oil spill has ruined your beach - for a while anyway. I too dream of swimming in the warm sea, so I know the longing.

    ReplyDelete